Although joints are designed to last a lifetime, they are vulnerable to acute or chronic damage caused by disease, repetitive movements, and general wear and tear. When joints experience abnormal stretching, tearing, and strain, the resulting pain and stiffness can make it difficult to work, walk, and even sleep at night. Medical conditions like bursitis, tendonitis and osteoarthritis also cause joint pain that often requires ongoing treatment.
With in-depth knowledge of the musculoskeletal system, a joint pain chiropractor can accurately diagnose and treat the underlying cause of your joint pain. Evidence-based chiropractic techniques do not involve medication or surgery. Instead, chiropractic joint pain treatment in Plantation treats the root cause of joint pain to improve your quality of life significantly.
What is Joint Pain?
The human body is composed of six different types of moveable joints:
- Gliding joint (wrist)
- Condyloid joints (fingers and jaw)
- Ball and socket joints (hip and shoulder)
- Pivot joint (joints that rotate your upper arms)
- Hinge joint (knees and elbows)
- Saddle joint (base of your thumb)
Any one of these joints can develop pain, inflammation, swelling, and stiffness that prevents you from grasping objects, climbing a step ladder, walking to the mailbox, or brushing your hair. Joint pain can come on gradually or rapidly. You might feel a mild soreness in your elbow for a few days before it worsens. Or, you could reach for a coffee cup in your cupboard and suddenly experience excruciating pain in your shoulder.
What are the Symptoms of Joint Pain?
In addition to general pain, joint pain symptoms often include:
- Popping, cracking, or crunching noises when the joint is moved
- Locking of the joint/inability to extend or retract the joint
Increasing inflammation can make pain feel more like an intense burning or tingling sensation. When joint pain continues for more than two or three days and does not subside using home remedies, schedule an appointment with joint pain chiropractor Dr. Stumpff at Stumpff Chiropractic as soon as possible.
What Causes Joint Pain & Inflammation?
Common causes of joint inflammation and stiffness include:
- Gout: when uric crystals accumulate in the bloodstream, they often settle in finger and toe joints. These sharp crystals cause episodes of severe swelling and pain as they irritate and inflame cartilage and ligaments.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks your joints, rheumatoid arthritis produces pain and severe swelling in the wrists and fingers. In some cases, the swelling may lead to deformity of the fingers.
- Tendinitis: when tendons are strained and overused, they become inflamed and painful. Tendons connect your muscles to your bones. Tendonitis commonly affects the shoulder, elbow, or ankle.
- Bursitis: bursa sacs are tiny, fluid-filled sacs that prevent bones from rubbing against tendons and muscles. When bursa sacs become irritated, they swell and cause pain in any of the major joints--knee, hip, elbow, and shoulder. Overuse and aging are common causes of bursitis.
Who is More Likely to Experience Joint Pain?
There are seven primary factors that increase a person's risk of suffering joint pain:
- Being overweight
- Previously injuring a joint
- Repetitious use of a joint and/or muscles associated with the joint
- Having arthritis or another chronic health issue
- Experiencing long-term depression, stress, and/or anxiety
- Are in generally poor health
- Being over 50
People who work in physically demanding jobs (construction, auto mechanic, firefighter) and jobs that require a lot of walking, bending, and lifting, often experience painful joints in their 30s and 40s. How much wear and tear joints are subjected to can influence the age at which someone needs joint pain treatment in Plantation.
How Stumpff Chiropractic Can Help You
Dr. Stumpff provides short-term pain relief to get you back to your daily activities as soon as possible. Chiropractic techniques provided at Stumpff Chiropractic that work to ease pain quickly include:
- Myofascial Release Technique (MRT)
- Spinal Decompression
- Electric Stimulation
- Normatec Recovery
- Therapeutic Cupping
- Kinesio Tape
None of these treatments involve medication or surgery. Instead, the principles of chiropractic medicine focus on the body's ability to heal itself by making adjustments to your musculoskeletal system.
Meet Dr. Stumpff
A board-certified, licensed chiropractic physician, Dr. Stumpff graduated with great distinction (magna cum laude) from the Palmer College of Chiropractic Florida. He has a doctorate of chiropractic degree and was awarded the Clinical Excellence Award at Palmer. Dr. Stumpff is a member of the Florida Chiropractic Association and the American Chiropractic Association.
Get Joint Pain Treatment in Plantation Today
Don't let painful, stiff joints reduce your quality of life and stop you from doing the things you love. Schedule an appointment at Stumpff Chiropractic today to enjoy reduced pain, improved flexibility, and a healthier you!